INGREDIENTS: for cookie crumb crust
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) crushed digestive cookie crumbs (about 16 cookies)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- Freshly grated nutmeg
METHOD: for cookie crumb crust
- Combine crumbs, butter and a few scrapes nutmeg.
- Press firmly over bottom and up side of pie plate at least 8-3/4 inches (22 cm) round.
- Bake in 350F oven for 8 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
INGREDIENTS: for pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of ground cloves, ginger and allspice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Optional: Whipped cream to garnish
METHOD: for pumpkin purée
- One small pie pumpkin weighing about 2 1/2 lb (1.25 kg) will yield about 3 cups (750 mL) purée, or enough for 2 pies.
- Cut washed and seeded pumpkin into chunks and place in large pot with 2 inches (5 cm) water.
- Cover and steam over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes, adding more water to maintain level if required.
- Let cool; drain well and purée in blender with skin on.
- Freeze leftover purée in 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) portions for using later.
METHOD: for pumpkin pie filling
- In saucepan, heat milk with cream just until bubbles form around edge of pan.
- Combine with eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin purée, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice and salt.
- Gently pour into pie shell.
- Bake in 450F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F; cook for 25 minutes or until tip of knife inserted into centre comes out clean.