From The Modern Hostess Cookbook, published 1940. We re-printed this recipe in Hot Off the Griddle #50, April 1996.
- 2 Tbsp uncooked rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small piece stick cinnamon and a little ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup seedless raisins
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups light cream
- Combine well-washed rice with milk and cinnamon.
- Cook in top of double boiler until rice is soft but not mushy. (If you are in a hurry this may be cooked over direct heat but the double boiler method is safer.)
- Add raisins and cook five minutes longer.
- Mix the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla; add the cream.
- Combine with rice and place over direct heat.
- Boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place in oven glass serving dish, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and place under broiler flame to brown slightly.
- Cool and serve.