From the Collection of Marg Dye
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1 cup ground almonds or hazelnuts, unblanched or blanched
- 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients. With hands, mix until thoroughly blended.
- Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shape cookies; form dough into 1 inch balls, then with palms of hands roll each ball into a roll 3 inches long, smaller at ends.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets; curve each to make crescent.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Let stand 1 minute before removing.
- With spatula, place hot cookies in vanilla sugar, turn gently to coat both sides.
- Cool completely.
- In electric blender combine one 3 inch piece vanilla bean, cut up, with 1/4 cup icing sugar.
- Blend at high speed for about 8 seconds.
- Combine with 1 3/4 cups icing sugar on large sheet of foil. (Or if desired just use icing sugar alone)