From the Collection of Marg Dye
- Sift together 2 cups sifted all-purpose enriched flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp baking soda.
- Cream 1/2 cup shortening; add gradually 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add two egg yolks and 2 tbsp. cold water.
- Mix well; add 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Measure 1/4 cup milk; add alternately with dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Blend well.
- Spread in greased and floured 15 × 10 inch pan or in two 9 × 9 × 2 inch pans.
- Beat 2 egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spread over cookie dough and sprinkle with 1 cup chopped nuts.
- Bake in 325 deg. oven 25 to 30 minutes.
Cut into bars or squares while still warm.