From The 250 Best Brownies Bars & Squares by Esther Brody
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
8-inch (2L) square cake pan, greased
1. Filling: In a saucepan combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and zest. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
2. Base: In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Using 2 knives, a pastry blender or your fingers, cut butter in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup and press remainder evenly in prepared pan.
3. Spread filling evenly over base and sprinkle reserved flour mixture evenly over top. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Place pan on a rack to cool completely, then cut into squares.