Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, May 1995
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut in 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp soft butter or margarine
- Combine 1 cup sugar, cranberry juice, water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil; boil 1 minutes.
- Put half of rhubarb in greased 8 × 8 × 2 pan.
- Combine biscuit mix, 2 Tbsp sugar and nutmeg.
- Add oil and milk to make soft dough; knead lightly on floured surface.
- Roll into 9” square.
- Spread with butter; sprinkle with remaining rhubarb and 4 Tbsp sugar.
- Roll as jelly roll; seal; cut into 9 slices.
- Place slices, cut side up, over rhubarb in pan.
- Pour over cranberry syrup; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake in hot oven (425 deg) 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.