From Hot Off the Griddle #36, March 1995.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup currants or mixed fruit
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Milk for brushing tops, granulated sugar for sprinkling.
- In large bowl put flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter. Cut in until crumbly; stir in fruit.
- Make a well in centre.
- In small bowl, beat egg until frothy. Stir in milk.
- Pour into well. Stir with a fork to form soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times. Divide into two equal parts.
- Transfer to greased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Score each top in 6 pie shaped markings.
- Bake in 425 deg. oven for 15 minutes until risen and browned slightly.
Yield: 12 portions.