From Hot Off the Griddle #32, October 1994.
Nice variation on the traditional oatmeal cookie.
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In medium-sized skillet over medium heat, heat butter until lightly browned.
- Be careful not to burn.
- Saute oats, sitrring constantly until golden – about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat – cool.
- Meanwhile, sift flour with cinnamon, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, egg and vanilla.
- With wooden spoon or electric mixer beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in rolled oats and flour mixture until well combined.
- Drop by slightly rounded teaspoonsful 3 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire racks.
Makes 4 dozen.