Originally Published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle in June 1993!
INGREDIENTS: Crumb Crust
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
INGREDIENTS: Ice Cream Filling
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Stir together crumb crust ingredients; spread evenly in shallow pan.
- Bake in 350F oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbs in 13 × 9 × 2 inch pan.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, berries and lemon juice in large deep bowl; with electric beater, beat together at high speed to stiff peaks (about 10 minutes).
- Fold in whipped cream. Spoon over crumbs.
- Freeze 6 hours or overnight. Cut in 10 or 12 squares.
- Trim with whole berries if desired or use one 10oz. pkg of frozen berries, partially thawed and 2/3 cup sugar.
It’s like homemade strawberry ice cream. How cool!