From Hot Off the Griddle #22, December 1993.
This is a fun variation on shortbread.
- 1/3 cup soft butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In medium bowl beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, beat in flour.
- Pat mixture evenly into bottom of an 8” x 8” x 2” pan.
- Bake 12 minutes, or until light golden in colour.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
... Meanwhile make apricot filling.
- Place apricots in small saucepan; add just enough water to cover; bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Drain apricots, reserving 3 tbsp. cooking liquid.
- Chop apricots fine.
- Combine in small saucepan with reserved liquid, lemon peel, sugar, cornstarch.
- Bring to boiling, stirring; boil 1 minute.
- Let filling cool 10 minutes.
Spread evenly over shortbread crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack before cutting into bars.