From Tomato Blessings and Radish Teachings by Edward Espe Brown
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- several pinches of salt
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- Roast almonds in 350F oven for 8 minutes until toasty, or in a dry skillet over moderate heat.
- Let cool, and then slice them. (Already slivered almonds will not provide the same flavour.)
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus by hand. Then cut into 3 inch long diagonal strips.
- Heat large skillet, add the olive oil and a sprinkling of salt. Saute the asparagus for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste, cover and cook over low heat until tender enough for your taste. The asparagus should be bright green.
- Toss with lemon peel, check the seasoning, and serve, garnished with the almonds.
Serves 4 to 6 people.