From Hot Off the Griddle #21, November 1993.
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shelled whole brazil nuts
- 1 lb. pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup well-drained maraschino cherries (whole)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease a 9 × 5 loaf pan. Line with greased brown paper or parchment.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add whole nuts, chopped dates and cherries.
- Mix until fruit is well coated with flour mixture.
- Beat eggs until foamy; add vanilla.
- Stir into fruit mixture. (There is no butter or shortening in this recipe).
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 2 hours at 300 F – until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan. Peel off paper.
When cool, wrap in brandy or rum soaked cheesecloth, then overwrap in foil. Store in air-tight container.
Note: When you fill the pan take an egg lifter and press down the batter, or the nuts may sit up out of the top of the cake.