From Hot Off the Griddle #34, December 1994.
- Sift together 2 cups sifted enriched all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Cream 2/3 cup shortening.
- Add gradually 1/2 cup sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Blend in 1 tsp grated orange rind.
- Combine 1/2 cup undiluted evaporated milk, 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Add 2/3 cup chopped, mixed candied fruit, 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Spread in greased and floured 15 × 10 inch shallow pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 15 to 20 minutes.
Cool. Frost with orange frosting. Cut into bars with sharp knife.
- Combine 3 cups sifted icing sugar and 1/2 tsp grated orange rind.
- Blend in 2 tbsp orange juice and 2 to 3 tbsp evaporated milk.
- Beat until smooth.
Spread on cooled bars.