From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
A sweet, simple, tasty dish. Ingredients are basic. Preparation is a cinch. Flavours are a palate-friendly combo of familiar and exotic. This one is a sure winner for both adults and kids to make and eat.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups (6 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 8 oz ground beef
- 2 Tbsp each, ketchup and soy sauce (or 1/4 cup ketjap manis, a sweet Indonesian soy sauce)
- 2 tsp each, brown sugar and paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili paste or hot pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 3 cups cooked rice
Large tomato cut in wedges
Half long cucumber thinly sliced
Egg strips (see method)
- In small non-stick pan, put 1 tsp oil.
- Add one well-beaten egg; swirl round to cover pan.
- Cook 2 minutes or till set.
- Flip. Cook other side for 1 minute.
- Cook and slice into strips for garnish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Add beef. Cook and break up any chunks until it is no longer pink.
- Add ketchup, soy sauce (or ketjap manis), brown sugar, paprika and chili.
- Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in rice. Reduce heat to very low.
- Cook, stirring gently for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
Garnish and serve.