From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
- 1 cup raw bulgur wheat
- 3 Tbsp canola, olive or grapeseed oil (2 Tbsp for the bulgur and 1 Tbsp for the garbanzos)
- 2 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 bay leaf (remove before serving)
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (tamari is good)
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup yogurt
- Heat a medium size pan, then add 2 Tbsp of oil.
- Sauté the bulgur in the oil for about 5 minutes until it sizzles and is slightly brown. Add more oil if it sticks to the pan.
- Add the stock, bay leaf, dill seeds and soy sauce to the bulgur.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until all of the stock is absorbed.
- While the bulgur is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a second pan and sauté the garbanzos for about 10 minutes or until toasty.
- When the bulgur is cooked, remove the pan from the heat, stir in the yogurt and allow the mixture to stand for a few minutes until all the grains absorb the yogurt.
- Stir the toasted garbanzos through the grain and serve warm.