From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
- 2 cups quick cooking couscous
- 3 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 or 3 steamed or sautéed zucchini squash (or another favourite like butternut)
- Chopped herbs such as chives, parsley, cilantro, etc.
- Salt to taste
- Dried fruits such as cranberries, apricots, currants, golden raisins, etc.
- Nuts such as walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, etc. (you may choose to leave out all nuts according to dietary restrictions)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon and or ground coriander if desired
- 2 ½ to 3 cups of water or vegetable broth, brought to a boil
- In a medium skillet, sauté the squash just until tender.
- Combine all ingredients except squash in a large microwave-proof bowl.
- Cover the top of the bowl partially and heat on high for 3 minutes, checking after 3 minutes to stir and break up any clumps. Add more liquid if needed.
- Microwave for 3 minutes more, then fluff up the grains. Gently stir in the squash.
- Cover lightly after cooking.