Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, November 1994.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- Half onion, finely diced
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- In small heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add carrot and onion. #Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add bulgur; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add water and salt; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add pecans, parsley, and red pepper (if using); toss lightly with fork to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Makes 4 servings.