Looking for something new in your cereal bowl? Try this rich and exotic Russian breakfast treat.
- 1 cup kasha (toasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Mix the kasha and egg with a fork and put in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Stir until the grains separate, being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients (except butter) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the kasha is tender and the liquid is absorbed—about 25 minutes.
- Add butter and fluff with a fork.
Serve with light cream.