Delicious as a snack or with your meal. From Hot Off the Griddle, April 2004
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- 1 thick slice crusty white bread
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/4 lb (570 grams) young spinach with stalks removed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Ground black pepper
VARIATION Use Swiss chard, kale or beet greens instead of spinach, cooking them a little longer.
- Put the raisins in a small bowl with boiling water. Leave to soak for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cut the bread into cubes. Discard the crusts. Heat 2 Tbsp of the oil and fry the bread until golden. Drain.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Fry the pine nuts until beginning to colour.
- Add the spinach and garlic and cook quickly, turning the spinach until it has just wilted.
- Toss in the raisins and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a warmed serving dish. Scatter with croutons and serve hot.