Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, August 1994.
- 4 bacon slices
- 12 tiny white onions
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 pound trimmed green beans
- 6 ears corn, broken in thirds
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 small zucchini, cut in 1” chunks
- 2 large celery stalks, cut in 1” slices
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut in wedges
- In 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, fry bacon until crumbly-crisp; drain on paper towel.
- To drippings add onions and green pepper, and cook until golden and tender-crisp.
- Add 2 cups hot water and next five ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and celery; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, arrange on a large platter or in a large shallow bowl.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle over top, and arrange tomato wedges – just before serving.
Serves approx. 8