Originally published in Hot Off the Griddle – December 1995.
These are easy-to-make but a sticky business – the kind of recipe the kids might like to help with… The fiddly bit is cutting and rolling them for gift-giving – but they are worth the effort!
- 1 cup seeded raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup figs
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 candied orange peel
- 6 candied cherries
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Icing sugar
- Wash the raisins, dried apricots and figs.
- Grind together the raisins, dried apricots, figs, dates, candied orange peel, cherries and walnuts.
- Add enough orange juice to hold the fruits and nuts together; mix well.
- Press into a greased 8 × 8 × 2 inch pan. Chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Cut in squares.
- Roll squares in icing sugar.
Makes 2 dozen pieces. Line your tin with waxed paper and put waxed paper between layers for better keeping… but they won’t last long!