This loaf makes a great non-meat alternative. Excellent paired hot with rice, yogurt, hummus, mango chutney or a rich tomato sauce! Also fabulous cold with a salad!
- 1/2 lb (225 g) brazil nuts or walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb (225 g) fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 oz (75 g) breadcrumbs
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs (or a particular favourite)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking oil
- salt and peper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (220 degrees celsius).
- Grease one 7 inch (18 cm) square cake tin.
- Begin by frying onion and chopped pepper in oil (about 10 minutes).
- Mix the nuts and bread crumbs in a large bowl, adding the garlic, herbs, and curry powder.
- Stir in onion, pepper, and tomatoes.
- Add the beaten egg and pack the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes (until golden).