From CanadianLiving.com. Tested and recommended by Kim Falls
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) almond butter or cashew butter
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- In slow cooker, combine onions, garlic, butter, ginger, brown sugar, chili powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper and tomatoes.
- Whisk broth with almond butter; pour into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or for up to 8 hours
- With immersion blender, purée sauce until smooth.
- Add chicken; cook, covered, on high until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.