This is so easy and so very “where we live” that it just tastes and smells like autumn looks – earthy and bright. Originally published in Hot Off the Griddle – October 1993
- 1 large or 2 small acorn or pepper squash
- 3 medium apples
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice squash into six 1-inch rings; remove seeds.
- Place in a single layer in a 13 × 9 inch baking dish.
- Core and cut apples in halves, crosswise.
- Place one apple half in the centre of each squash ring.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Combine syrup, butter and vinegar; pour over top.
- Cover and bake 55 to 60 minutes, basting occasionally.
Makes 6 delicious servings.