Canned tomatoes and beans make this a simple chili to prepare. Serve it with brown rice for a complete protein!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 16 oz. can tomatoes in juice, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 5 oz. canned kidney beans, drained
- In large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, salt and cayenne.
- Cover and cook 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add kidney beans and chickpeas. Cook, stirring 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice.