From the “Full of Beans” cookbook. First printed in Hot Off the Griddle #24, February 1994.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground pork or turkey or chicken
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cooked or canned white kidney beans
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup diced raw potato
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook pork, celery, garlic and onion, stirring to break up pork, for about 10 minutes or until pork is no longer pink.
- Stir in jalapeno pepper, cumin, thyme, chili powder, salt, cayenne and bay leaf. # Cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add beans, stock and potato; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice.
- Garnish with green onions.