Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, August 1994.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup shelled peas or 1/2 cup sliced green beans
- 3/4 cup kernel corn
- 2/3 cup French dressing
- 1 sweet red pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the brown rice in boiling salted water (scant cup) until tender.
- Likewise the peas OR beans and corn – just until tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and add half of the dressing while the rice and veggies are still hot.
- Toss well to mix, then leave to cool.
- Later, add the remaining ingredients and dressing and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning just before serving.
- Serve cold.
Serves approximately 4