Suddenly everyone discovered quinoa… this recipe appeared in a Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle back in February 1995! It’s a delicous way to enjoy the high nutrition and pleasantly bitter taste of quinoa…
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup diced (unpeeled) cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced figs or dried apricots or raisins
- 1/2 cup drained canned mandarin orange sections, halved
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or toasted almonds
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1 tsp grated lemon or lime rind
- 3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water; drain.
- In saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil; stir in quinoa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is transparent; drain and let cool.
- In salad bowl, combine quinoa, cuke, figs, orange, sunflower seeds, onions & coriander.
- Dressing: In small bowl, mix lemon rind and juice, sesame oil, sugar, cumin and coriander, pour over salad and toss to mix.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Makes 8 servings.