A recipe from Fresh Moroccan by Nada Saleh
- 1 cup dried navy beans, soaked 6 hours
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- piece fresh root ginger
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and slice into chunks
- 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- flat leaf parsley sprigs, to garnish (optional)
Drain the beans and rinse will, then put in a pan with the water. Bring slowly to a boil, skimming the surface as foam forms; reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the onions, ginger, tomatoes and oil and simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the beans are tender.
A few minutes before the end of the cooking time, mash the tomatoes against the side of the pan, then add the turmeric, vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat, cover and let sit until it cools to room temperature, then remove the ginger. Serve, garnished with parsley sprigs, if using.