From: The Indian Slow Cooker by Anupy Singla
(Contributed by our friend Dave Carney)
Slow Cooker size: 5-Quart
Cooking time: 7 Hrs on high
Yeild: 14 cups
"My mom makes the most amazing vegetable soups. This recipe is a great example of how she blends fresh vegetables with Indian lentils and spices. You may substitute any vegetable you have on hand, such as cauliflower, spinach or broccoli. You can also try using barley or wild rice as the grain, and substituting another lentil for the moong dal." Dave
- 2 yellow or white onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (2 inch) piece ginger, peeled and minced or grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped or grated
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dried whole moong dal with skin
- 2 Tbsp brown rice
- 2 Tbsp quinoa
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese (any kind), for garnish
- Crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
Put all the ingredients in slow cooker (except salt, pepper, cheese and chips). Cover with water to about 2 inches above the contents.
Cook on high for 7 hours. Once it’s cooked, blend a few times with an immersion blender or take out 3 cups, process in a blender, and return it to the slow cooker.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a pinch of shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.