Greens and beans turn ordinary potato soup into a meal-in-a-bowl. Hearty kale hits the spot in winter, but try beet greens instead as spring draws nearer.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetables broth
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 medium/large kale leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cooked Romano beans, or 1 can Romano beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrot. Cover, and cook until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, potatoes, broth, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir in the kale and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.