Hot Off the Griddle, June 2005 - From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp long grained rice
- 1 large onion, choped
- 3 medium or 4 small zucchini, sliced OR 1 large bag washed spinach
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Plain yogurt or sour cream
- In a large soup pot, bring the stock to a boil.
- Add rice.
- Turn down heat to medium-low, add the onion, and simmer gently, covered, about 20 minutes.
- Drop in the zucchini, re-cover, and let cook until zucchini is quite soft, 7 to 8 minutes.
- If using spinach, drop the leaves by handfuls into the hot stock. Do not cover, but stir gently until all the leaves are wilted and soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool slightly and puree in a blender; zucchini soup can be chunky but spinach soup is best if pureed completely.
The zucchini soup is good hot or cold; spinach soup is best cold. Try both. See which you prefer!
Serve with yogurt or sour cream.