From Jean Pare's Company’s Coming - Soups
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 8 cups prepared chicken or vegetable broth
- 19oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup pot barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium.
- Add next 3 ingredients. Cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Add next 3 ingredients. Heat and stir for about 1 minutes until fragrant.
- Add broth and beans. Stir. Carefully process with hand blender or in blender until vegetables are finely chopped. Bring to a boil.
- Add barley and bay leaves. Stir. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Add cilantro. Stir.
Makes about 9 3/4 cups.