From: Cooking On a Shoestring. First printed it in Hot Off the Griddle #45, November 1995.
- 1 1/2 lbs split peas
- 3 inch sprig of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots
- 1 large potato
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 2 tsp dried
- Soak the peas overnight.
- Wash the peas, put them in a large soup pot and cover them with 2 inches of water.
- Add the rosemary sprig and bay leaf.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Chop the carrots, potato, celery and onion and saute them in small pan in oil for 10 minutes.
- Add them to the peas with the salt, garlic, and the remaining rosemary.
- Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste.