From "Food for Friends" by Fran Warde.
Long, thin, sweet Cubanelle peppers are best for this dish/ However, if they are't in season, ordinary bell peppers can be used, though a little extra filling may be needed, as they tend to be larger.
- 4 Cubanelle peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 oz mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 5 oz mozzarella cheese (drained if necessary), cut into large dice pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 oz olives (stuffed with anchovies are best), chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Put pepper halves skin-side-down onto the oiled baking tray.
- Put mushrooms, mozzarella, garlic, oil, olives and paprika into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into the peppers. Cook near top of preheated oven at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm.
Yields 4 servings.