"Before including beans on our menus became "a thing" this book was already dog-eared and well-loved on my mother's kitchen book-shelf." - Marcia
From "Full of Beans" by Violet Curry and Kay Spicer
For a snappy low-calorie first course serve this fat-free concoction on lettuce-lined plates garnished with low-fat yogurt and a sprinkle of hard-cooked egg. For a buffet, place in bowl surrounded by rice crackers or corn chips with a spoon to lift salsa onto crackers.
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded, diced and drained
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro OR 2 Tbsp dried
- 2 Tbsp chopped red sweet pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped green sweet pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch granulated sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In glass bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, green onions, garlic, cilantro, red, green and jalapeno peppers, vinegar and sugar; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let stand, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, before serving.