From The New York Times New Natural Foods Cookbook.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.
- Mix together the flour, raisins, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the molasses, buttermilk, and hot water.
- Mix well, then turn into an oiled 8 × 4 × 2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool.