From Hot Off the Griddle #12, March 1993.
Make meringues (look for a recipe in our collection) with the leftover egg whites.
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, 3 times.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-coloured; add to creamed mixture; beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk; add vanilla extract.
- Pour into greased tube pan 9” in diameter.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 deg.) 1 – 1 1/4 hours.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan; cool on wire rack.