Originally published in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, August 1993.
- 16 medium unpeeled zucchini, diced
- 8 large onions, diced
- 6 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp each celery seed, mustard seed, and turmeric
- Place vegetables in a large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, cover with a clean tea towel and let stand overnight.
- In the morning, drain vegetables in a colander and rinse under cold water to remove loose salt.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer about 3 minutes.
- Add drained vegetables, remove from heat and allow mixture to stand for 2 hours.
- Bring to the boil again, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Spoon into sterilized jars while hot, then seal.
Yield: 16 – 6 oz. jars.