From Company’s Coming Whole Grain Recipes by Jean Pare
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter (or hard margarine), cut up
- 1 large egg, fork-beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk (or soured milk)
- Combine first 10 ingredients in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center.
- Add egg and buttermilk to well. Stir until just moistened.
- Drop, using 1/3 cup for each scone, about 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 20 minutes until golden and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove scones from baking sheet and place on wire rack to cool. Makes 12 scones.