No need to knead. From Hot Off the Griddle #36, March 1995.
- Combine 1/2 cup scalded milk, 1/4 cup shortening, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cool to lukewarm by adding 1/2 cup water* and 1 package granular yeast dissolved as directed on package; mix well. (*The water used to dissolve dry yeast should be subtracted from water in recipe.)
- Blend in 1 egg, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Add gradually 3 cups sifted enriched flour; mix until well blended.
- Cover and let stand for 15 min.
- Shape dough into 18 buns; place on greased baking sheet.
- Let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Combine 1 egg white, 2 tbsp cold water; brush tops of buns with mixture.
- Cut cross in top of each bun with sharp knife.
Bake in moderately hot oven (400 deg.) 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Combine 4 tsp milk, 1 cup icing sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla; drip over hot buns, filling crosses.