From the Collection of Marg Dye
Pumpkin pie is great, but so is this.
- 1 1/2 cup ginger-snap crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup cooked pumpkin (or 14 oz can of cooked pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 pint (1 1/4 cup) dairy sour cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Combine ginger-snap crumbs and melted butter. Press into bottom of 9-inch spring-form pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Beat egg yolks at high speed until thick and lemon coloured (about 5 minutes). Add cheese and beat until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar mixed with spices and salt. Add pumpkin and beat until well-blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into pumpkin mixture. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 F until set (about 1 hour).
- Combine brown sugar and sour cream. Spread evenly over cheesecake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Return to oven. Bake 5 minutes at 450 F. Cool. Refrigerate in pan until serving time (overnight is fine if loosely covered to prevent drying).
- Remove outer ring to slice.