From Hot Off the Griddle #38, April 1995.
"This is a bit passé but so easy and delicious - if you can have the ingredients, or are clever with substitutions - that it is the ultimate lazy-day comfort food. Serve it with a healthy salad to take a bit of the edge off your food-guilt." - Marcia
- 4 white bread slices
- butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup shredded or slivered cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- Spread bread lightly with butter or margarine; cut into 1 inch squares; top with half of cheese; repeat.
- In greased 1 1/2 quart casserole, arrange half of squares; top with half of cheese; repeat.
- In medium bowl with wire whisk or hand beater, beat eggs with rest of ingredients; pour over cheese.
- Set casserole in shallow baking pan on oven rack; fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up side of casserole.
- Bake in 350 deg. oven 1 hour and 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Serve at once to 4 hungry people.