- 1 1/2 cups soft whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Finely grated rind and juice of one orange
- 2 cups cranberries (best fresh)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- To make pastry dough, put the flour, sugar and spice in a bowl and mix well. Add margarine in pieces and rub into flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in nuts, then 2 Tbsp of beaten egg and mix to a firm dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly, then cover and chill until required.
- To make the filling, put all the ingredients in bowl; mix well. Have an 8 or 9 inch deep pie dish ready.
- Roll the dough on the lightly floured surface into a shape that is 1 inch larger than the circumference of the pie dish. Cut a 1/2 inch strip of dough from around the edge and press it into the moistened rim of the pie dish.
- Fill with prepared fruit. Moisten the strip; then place the large piece of dough on top. Press firmly to seal, then trim and flute the edge.
- Decorate the top of the pie with the trimming rolled and cut; and make a slit in the centre. Brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven (400F) for 30 to 40 minutes or until pastry is crisp and brown. Serve hot.