A recipe from Company’s Coming by Jean Pare
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 tsp of powder)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup chopped cooking apple (such as McIntosh)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen (or fresh) mango pieces
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan on medium. Add onion. Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion starts to soften.
- Add next 3 ingredients. Stir (being careful not to break up the bay leaf). Cook for 1 minute.
- Add remaining 8 ingredients. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavours. Discard bay leaf.
Makes about 6 cups.