From Deborah Palmer of A Movable Feast
- 1 tsp coriander roots, washed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves and stems
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp red Thai chilies, chopped, OR chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp Asian vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 1/2 palm or brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 oz bean vermicelli soaked in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes until soft, then chopped
- 4 to 6 oz shrimp, cooked and chopped
- 4 to 6 oz minced pork, cooked, OR minced chicken, cooked
- 1/3 cup celery, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into eighths
- fresh coriander leaves and crisp fried shrimp to garnish, lettuce leaves for serving
- Combine coriander, garlic and chilies (or peppers).
- Add fish sauce, vinegar, lime juice, sugar and salt.
- Stir to mix and set aside.
- Mix the cooked meat and shrimp with celery, vermicelli and tomato.
- Toss with prepared dressing and serve on lettuce leaves.
- Garnish dish with shrimp and coriander.
- Omit fish sauce, shrimp, pork and chicken. Substitute 4 to 6 ounces of firm tofu, cubed, for the meat and shrimp. Prepare as above.
Serve with enthusiasm!