From the “Full of Beans” cookbook.
This will impress the heck out of your vegetarian dinner guests.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups canned tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic and nuts for about 6 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in mashed beans, tomato paste, water, thyme and oregano; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced and flavours have mingled.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg; mix well.
- Set 1 cup sauce aside. Spread 3/4 cup of the remaining sauce over bottom of 13 × 9 inch baking dish.
- Arrange layer of 4 lasagne noodles over sauce.
- Spread half of the remaining sauce over noodles, then half of the cottage cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with second layer of 4 noodles. Repeat sauce and cheese layers.
- Cover completely with reserved sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.