From Anne Lindsay’s “The Lighthearted Cook”. Originally featured in Foodstuffs Hot Off the Griddle, March 1997.
- 1 English cucumber
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- freshly ground pepper
- Peel cucumber only if skin is tough or waxy.
- In food processor or by hand, thinly slice cucumber.
- Place in colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Toss then let stand for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water, then pat dry.
- In bowl, combine sour cream, yogurt, chives, lemon juice, basil and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Stir in cucumber.
- Season with pepper to taste.
Serve in a shallow bowl. Makes 6 servings, 1/2 cup each.