From Canadian Living 20th Anniversary Cookbook
Don’t let the lengthy list of ingredients put you off. It’s very easy and delicious!
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2/3 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp each granulated sugar, salt and ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp each turmeric, paprika, nutmeg and ground cardamom
- pinch of cinnamon, ground cloves and cayenne
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
In a large pot of boiling salted water (enough water to cover the rice), cook wild rice, covered, for 10 minutes. Add lentils; boil for 20 minutes. Add orzo; boil for about 5 minutes or just until tender. Drain well and transfer to large bowl. Add currants and onion; set aside.
Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients except oil. Then slowly whisk in the oil to emulsify. Pour over rice mixture and toss gently.
Let salad cool completely; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. Just before serving, sprinkle with the almonds.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: about 365 calories, 11g protein, 17g fat, 45g carbs. High source of fibre, excellent source of iron!