A recipe from Fresh Moroccan by Nada Saleh
- 3-4 small to medium raw beets, washed and coarsely grated
- 1-2 mangoes (if possible, Indian), cubed
- 3/4 tsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 10-12 mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp thick plain yogurt with active cultures
- juice of 2 oranges
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- heaping 1/4 Tbsp orange flower water
- Place the grated beets in a mixing bowl and the mangoes in a smaller bowl. Using a small strainer with fine holes, sprinkle the confectioner’s sugar over the beets and mangoes.
- Pound the garlic, mint, and salt in a mortar with a pestle until smooth, then gradually add the lime juice, yogurt, orange juice, oil, and flower water.
- Pour a little more than half the sauce over the beets and toss. Pour the remaining sauce over the mangoes.
- Place the beets in a serving dish and spread the mangoes and sauce over.
Chill for 30 minutes, then serve.